There is little more comforting that a well made deli sandwich. And since we’ve been more and more meatless as of late, we’ve gotten to try a lot of deli veggie sandwiches. Most of the classic delis make something simple like tomato, cheese, lettuce, and sprouts with a slice of avocado at the right places trying to bring some flair. The sad truth is so much more goes wrong than right most of the time, as in unexciting bread, subpar cheese, and boring lettuce and sprouts.
Our ideal deli veggie sandwich is satisfying but light, fresh but substantial, and has a good deal of crunchy texture. So we dreamed up something simple enough for a corner deli but with farm fresh veggies and a teeny little flair (sans avo though) and here it is: whipped goat cheese, toasted multigrain bread, roasted sweet potatoes, loads of fresh veg, and a drizzle of tahini for that extra bit of decadence.
Roast Sweet Potato, Whipped Goat Cheese, and Tahini Veggie Sandwich Recipe
- 1 small sweet potato (yams)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese (aka chèvre)
- 4 to 6 pieces Little Gems lettuce
- 1 medium watermelon radish trimmed, peeled, and sliced paper thin
- 1 handful arugula sprouts or another of your favorite sprouts
- Tahini stirred before using
- Slice The Sweet Potatoes: Heat oven to 400°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Using a very sharp knife, carefully slice the ends off of the sweet potato so that you can stand it on one end. With the knife or mandolin, carefully slice the potato into thin planks. Place on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss to coat.
- Bake The Sweet Potatoes: Bake until the sweet potatoes are chip like, golden brown, and tender (they will get more crisp as they cool), about 15 to 20 minutes. Place the bread in the oven for the last few minutes to toast it. Meanwhile, place the goat cheese in a mini food processor and blend until it's airy and whipped, about 2 minutes.
- Make The Sandwich: To assemble a sandwich, spread the whipped goat cheese on one piece of toast. Tile half the sweet potatoes on the cheese, top with a few pieces of lettuce, some of the sliced radishes, and the sprouts and then top with a drizzle of tahini. Close with a second piece of toast then repeat to make a second sandwich.