Say Bonjour to the classic dish that is the Jambon Beurre sandwich. It’s an oh-so-simple but oh-so-delicious classic French sandwich and was my go-to snack when I lived in France.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Nothing more than an amazing baguette (preferably the skinny ficelle) topped with slightly salted French butter and spiced Parisian ham (aka jambon de Paris), this Jambon beurre is the simplest combo but so delicious when made right. But it’s on the very unofficial Paris endangered eats list because a good version of it is harder and harder to find.
Caractère de Cochon is out to right that wrong. We discovered them when Aida was filming the Paris episode of #OffMenu and their Jambon Beurre Sandwich was love at first bite. It’s a tiny shop next one of my favorite Paris markets, the Marché des Enfants Rouges, and they do the Classic Parisian Jambon Beurre Sandwich recipe, just right
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this jambon beurre sandwich:
- French (aka sweet) baguette
- High-quality European butter
- Jambon de Paris or another high-quality ham
How To Make A Jambon Beurre Sandwich
Here is how you make this recipe:
- Halve The Baguette: Slice each baguette in half lengthwise so you have an open sandwich.
- Layer On Butter And Ham: Spread a ridiculous amount of the room temperature butter on the baguette then layer each with a few slices of paper-thin ham.
- Close And Eat! Close and eat way too many.
Tips To Make A Jambon Beurre Sandwich
It’s so simple to make that it doesn’t require a recipe.But it does require that you get the best ingredients (preferably an epic ficelle, some demi-sel butter, and authentic Jambon de Paris) you can find!
If you can’t find those exact ingredients, look for a good-quality baguette, European-style butter, and top-notch ham. The measurements below are really just suggestions so feel free to add more or less of anything based on the size and type of baguette you have.
Variations On Jambon Beurre Sandwich
We’re purists when it comes to this sandwich, but you will find variations out there. Some may be stuffed with cornichons, some with a swipe of Dijon mustard, and others with slices of Gruyere cheese. While they are by no means classic, they too are delicious!
Frequently Asked Questions
A Jambon Beurre sandwich is a classic French sandwich consisting of a baguette, high-quality ham (typically Jambon de Paris), and butter. It's known for its simplicity and the quality of its ingredients.
The key ingredients for a Jambon Beurre sandwich are a fresh French baguette, thinly sliced high-quality ham (Jambon de Paris is traditional), and unsalted European-style butter.
The Jambon Beurre sandwich is popular in France due to its simplicity, the quality of its ingredients, and its delicious taste. It's a staple in French cuisine, often enjoyed as a quick lunch or snack.
What To Serve With This Recipe
Here are our favorite recipes to serve with this jambon beurre sandwich:
Have Us Plan Your France Trip
Looking to travel to Paris to try the jambon beurre in real life? Our travel planning services are here to help you achieve the ideal vacation. After discussing your preferences during a short consultation, we’ll plan your perfect itinerary. Head here to get started!
Jambon Beurre Sandwich Recipe
- 2 ficelle French (aka sweet) baguette cut into 12-inch lengths (or use mini baguettes)
- 2 tablespoons High-quality European butter salted to your liking, at room temperature
- 4 ounces Jambon de Paris or other high-quality ham, sliced paper thin
- Make The Jambon Beurre Sandwich: Slice each ficelle in half lengthwise so you have an open sandwich. Spread a ridiculous amount of the room temperature butter on the baguette then layer each with a few slices of paper-thin ham. Close and eat way too many.