I gotta be honest: I always considered müesli to be granola‘s ugly duckling cousin. Like all the oats and fiber without the sweet, buttery goodness. But then I went to Sweden and had the real deal müesli: toasted grains, perfectly dried fruit, and just a dash of exotic mixed with supreme yogurt and topped with grated apple.
How something so simple and delicious could’ve escaped me was totally baffling but I righted that wrong as soon as I got back home. Like my favorite granola recipe, I make müesli with whatever I have on hand but this combo of coconut, walnuts, and blueberries is one I turn to time and again, and I call it the Toasted Quinoa Coconut Blueberry Müesli recipe.
Toasted Quinoa Coconut Blueberry Müesli Recipe
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil (optional for toasting)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats toasted
- 1/2 cup raw coconut flakes toasted
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped toasted walnuts or another nut
- 3 tablespoons dried blueberries or your favorite dried fruit
- 3 tablespoons pepitas (raw pumpkin seeds)
- 2 tablespoons raw flax seeds
- Pinch sea salt
- Use the quinoa as is or make it crunchy by doing the following: place a large nonstick frying pan or cast iron pan over medium-high heat and add the oil. When the oil shimmers, add the quinoa and spread out so that it evenly covers the bottom of the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until it’s golden brown (about 15 minutes). Pull the quinoa off the burner or out of the oven just as it’s golden brown then let it cool in the pan.
- Make The Müesli: Mix all the müesli ingredients in a large bowl, then transfer to the storage container. To serve, mix everything together and let sit for at least 10 minutes before serving. To keep it traditional, top it with grated Granny Smith apple, mix and serve.