Yes, I’m biased, but I can honestly say that this quinoa granola recipe is one of my all-time favorite healthy granola recipes ever.
I started making it at first out of frustration for the fact that we were spending so much money on granola when I knew that I could make it way cheaper at home.
Even once my initial frustration eased, though, I kept making my own and totally forgot about the overpriced store-bought stuff because, well… with the tropical coconut, crunchy quinoa, and toasted oats, it just might be the greatest granola recipe out there (according to me, anyway!) If you’ve been on the hunt for a staple healthy granola recipe, I say make it this one!
Toasted Oat Coconut and Quinoa Granola Recipe
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter or virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
or maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 cup packed unsweetened flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa, flaxseed, or hemp seed
- 1/2 cup shelled pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup dried currants or dried sweet cherries
- Prepare Granola Mixture: Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Combine butter or coconut oil, honey or maple syrup, sugar, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon in a small frying pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.Pour mixture into a bowl, add the oats and nuts (NOT the coconut, quinoa or seeds, or dried fruit, which will be added later) and toss until evenly coated.
- Bake The Granola: Spread the oat mixture in a thin, even layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, then stir in the coconut, quinoa or seeds, and pumpkin seeds, and spread out into a thin layer.
- Continue baking until the granola is very golden brown and smells toasted, about 10 to 15 minutes more. Granola should be golden and slightly crisp -- remember that it will crisp even more as it cools.
- Cool And Serve: Place the baking sheet on a cooling rack and cool the granola to room temperature, at least 15 minutes. When the granola is cool, add the dried fruit, and toss to combine.