Sometimes all you need is a great salad.
We’re talking about when you need that last element to put the finishing touch on your meal. Something that provides flavor, texture and just makes everything interesting.
When mangoes are in season, this salad is just that. Ripe mango brings sweetness, crumbled feta adds some saltiness, ripe avocado gives it a bit of creaminess, the massaged kale ups the nutrition, and the chile-toasted pumpkin seeds bring some crunch. And it all comes together in a matter of a few minutes.
The mix of flavors in this salad means it can go just as well with BBQ chicken as it does a simple steak or even a side to some enchiladas. Most of the time, we eat this on its own for a light lunch. But, if you want more of a meal, pair it with this Roasted Cilantro Chile Lime Spatchcock Chicken, this Seared Coconut Vindaloo Swordfish, or with this Tequila Citrus Carne Asada.
Sweet-Spicy Mango Avocado Kale Feta Salad Recipe
- 2 bunches kale (preferably lacinato variety)
about 1 pound
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 orange muscat vinegar or champagne vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed orange juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds
- Pinch ground chile powder
Tajín chile-lime seasoning
- 2 medium avocados
peeled, pitted, and finely chopped
- 1 medium ripe mango
peeled, pitted, and diced
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
(about 4 ounces)
- Massage The Kale: Fold each kale leaf in half lengthwise, then pull out and discard the center rib. Tear leaves into bite-sized pieces and place in a large nonreactive bowl (you should have about 6 cups).
- Add lemon juice and salt to kale and, with clean hands, rub and gently squeeze the kale until it just begins to soften and wilt (it will darken in color). Add orange juice, vinegar, and oil and toss to coat and set aside while you prepare the rest, at least 10 minutes.
- Toast The Pepitas: Meanwhile, toast the pumpkin seeds in a dry cast iron skillet over medium heat. When golden brown, add a drizzle of olive oil and the chile powder and cook until fragrant. Toss to coat then remove from heat.
- Plate The Salad: Taste the kale and add more salt or vinegar, as desired. Divide salad among plates, add avocado, mango, and cheese, sprinkle each with a spoonful of seeds and serve.