It’s a summer of salads around here and at the top of the list is this Steak Salad with Tomato-Sherry Vinaigrette Recipe.
Most of the time we keep our salads healthy, but, let’s be clear, that doesn’t mean every salad is 100% so. Sometimes we need the steak and potatoes version of a salad, which, well is when we do exactly that and make a salad of steak and potatoes like this Steak Salad with Tomato-Sherry Vinaigrette Recipe.
The clincher here is the Sherry-Tomato Vinaigrette, which, if we’re being honest, we may have the habit of licking off the spoon when no one is watching. It’s that perfect balance of sweet, tart, and tomato-ey and is the perfect way to use up those past-their-prime tomatoes that are lingering around from when you bought a gaggle at the farmers market. (Okay, we don’t know what a bunch of tomatoes is called but we do know it’s not a gaggle.)
So, even if you aren’t a steak and potatoes salad type, you could still spoon it over grilled veggies or on top of your favorite rendition of Taco Salad. Because it’s the summer of salads so let’s make it happen!
Steak Salad with Tomato-Sherry Vinaigrette Recipe
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil divided plus more for steak
- 1 cup whole cherry or grape tomatoes plus more for salad
- 1 medium shallot roughly chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic or sherry vinegar
- 1 pinch unrefined cane sugar
- kosher salt and Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (8 ounce) New York Strip Steaks or Top Sirloin Steaks
- 1 pound marble potatoes or other tiny potatoes
- 1 medium bell pepper large dice
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced celery plus a few celery leaves for garnish
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions (aka scallions)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley, chives, or dill divided for vinaigrette and garnish (optional)
- Make The Vinaigrette: Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add tomatoes and sear, stirring occasionally, until the skins pucker and begin to color, about 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and shallot and cook until slightly softened, about 1 minute more.
- Transfer tomato mixture to a small, deep mixing bowl, add vinegar, and purée with an immersion blender. Keep blending constantly with the immersion blender and slowly pour in the remaining oil, until well incorporated. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the herbs (if using) then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, taste, and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Cook The Potatoes: Place potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat then reduce to a simmer. Cook until potatoes are knife tender, about 15 minutes. Drain let cool slightly then halve.
- Grill The Steaks: Meanwhile, heat the grill to medium high (about 400°F). Meanwhile, drizzle the steaks on all sides with a little oil, generously season with salt and pepper, and let come to room temperature while the grill is heating. Grill the steaks uncovered for 5 minutes per side for medium. Remove from the grill and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Cut into large dice and set aside.
- Finish Making The Salad: Combine the reserved steak, bell pepper, tomato, remaining 1 tablespoon of herbs (if using), celery, celery leaves, and scallions in a large, nonreactive mixing bowl. Halve the potatoes and add to the bowl. Toss with about 1/4 cup of the vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper as needed. Taste and add more salt, pepper, or vinaigrette, as desired. Serve immediately.