We’re 100% Team Asparagus so it’s not really Spring for us until we’ve cooked with it. And each year we kick off asparagus season with this Asparagus Tarragon Puff Pastry Tart recipe.
Asparagus and Tarragon Puff Pastry Tart Recipe
- 1 sheet storebought frozen puff pastry thawed according to package
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 3 ounces shredded Gruyere cheese (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 ounces Parmesan cheese shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon minced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 pound medium asparagus trimmed and cup into 1-inch lengths
- Heat oven to 400°F and arrange a rack in the middle. On a lightly floured surface, roll puff pastry to 12-by-12-inch square. Place on baking sheet and; leaving a 1-inch border, score with a sharp knife to demarcate a square. Using a fork, pierce dough all over within the inner border and brush the exterior border with 1 of the egg yolks. Bake until golden, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining 2 egg yolks, half-and-half, cheeses, and herbs in a bowl, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and mix to combine. Taste, adjust seasoning as needed, and set aside. Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. When it foams, add the asparagus, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and cook until browned and just starting to soften, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- When crust is ready, remove from oven, and spread cheese mixture evenly within the crust border. Arrange asparagus on top and return to oven. Bake until custard is set and asparagus is knife tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Cut into squares and serve.