Come the New Year, everyone here in Los Angeles is buzzing about awards season. As food lovers, we’re always curious about what food and cocktails get served, of course!
Lucky for me, I got to create one such cocktail myself. The Golden Night cocktail was my creation for Moët & Chandon for the Golden Globes Awards where it was served as the first-ever official cocktail of the awards. Because champagne is such a quintessential French ingredient, we wanted to bring a bit of that sophistication and elegance associated with it so one sip would transport you to France! This cocktail is the perfect sipper to toast the glitz and glamour of the awards season whether you’re here in California or watching it at home.
The Golden Night Cocktail Recipe
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup unrefined granulated sugar
- 20 whole cardamom pods crushed using the back of the pan or a rolling pin
- 1/4 cup pear Williams brandy such as Aqua Perfecta by Saint George Spirits
- 1 (750 ml) bottle chilled brut Champagne or sparkling wine
- 2 small ripe Forelle or Seckel pears for garnish
- For the syrup: Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan, stir to dissolve the sugar, add the crushed cardamom pods and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer the simple syrup for 5 minutes, then remove from heat and allow to steep and cool for 20 minutes.
- Using a fine mesh strainer, strain the simple syrup, discard the seeds and pods, and place the simple syrup into a liquid measuring cup. Add the pear Williams brandy and stir to combine.
- For the cocktail: Just before serving, cut the pear off the core and slice pear lengthwise into 1/8-inch thick slices. (Separate slices into stacks of three and spread slightly to make a fan. If cutting slices ahead of serving time, coat them with a little lemon juice to prevent them from browning.)
- To serve, add 1/2 ounce of the pear brandy-cardamom simple syrup mixture to 6 white wine glasses or 6 coupe glasses (this makes enough syrup for 8 cocktails). Add 4 ounces of chilled Champagne to each glass, filling each glass about halfway. Garnish each glass with three pieces of fanned pear slices and serve.