Forget everything you think when you hear the words “taco” and “salad.”
If the old taco salad is a greasy taco in the guise of a salad, this one is a salad in a taco. There are no deep-fried tortillas in this recipe. There aren’t even cooked ingredients. Because sometimes I want a taco without cooking. This Taco Salad Recipe is light, fresh, and cool. It will be a hit on hot summer days and nights, and can even be packed for the beach or picnic.
Taco Salad Recipe
For The Dijon Vinaigrette:
- 1 small shallot minced
- 1/4 cup neutral oil (like canola, grapeseed, or peanut oil)
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon unrefined cane sugar or honey
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For The Taco Salad:
- 1 medium zucchini small dice
- 2 ears corn husks and silks removed
- 1 large firm-ripe avocado
- 2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes halved
- 4 ounces sugar snap peas sliced on bias
- 2 ounces pea shoots
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Crumbled feta or Cotija cheese for garnish
- Chipotle hot sauce or Tapatio, for garnish
- Make The Dijon Vinaigrette: Meanwhile, place the shallot, oil, vinegar, mustard, sugar, and season with salt and pepper in a small jar or airtight container. Cover, shake and taste. Adjust to your liking. Cover and place in fridge until ready to serve.TIP: Dressing can be made up to 5 days in advance. Store refrigerated in an airtight container. Bring to room temperature and shake before using.
- Prepare The Vegetables: Place zucchini in a colander and sprinkle over a pinch of kosher salt, and mix through to coat then set aside. Hold an ear of corn tip side up and cut kernels off the cob. Cut avocado in half, remove pit, and slice into 1/2-inch cubes. Place them both in a large mixing bowl. Line a dinner plate with paper towels and transfer zucchini onto the center of the paper towels. Roll over the ends on top of the zucchini and pat dry. Add the zucchini and remaining veggies to the mixing bowl and pour over about 3/4 of the dressing and toss. Taste and add more dressing to your liking.
- Serve The Taco Salad: Place tortilla directly on the grate over a medium heat gas stove. Allow to slightly blister, about 30 seconds on each side. Transfer to a plate. To serve, fill each tortilla with about ½ cup filling, garnish with queso fresco and hot sauce and serve.