Last week I was at an event and the hostess passed out this little book — The Freixenet Social Survival Guide — as a favor.
The slim red book with its embossed gold cursive lettering carries an air of authority; it’s something Betty Draper might pull out at a cocktail party in order to coach party planners on where they went wrong. I couldn’t help question it. Was it a hint along the lines of someone offering you a mint, which gets you thinking, “Does this mean I’m offending everyone with coffee breath right now?”
But it was just a passing thought as the craziness of life got the best of me and I left Aspen for LA then NY and now Austin. Well, life tends to come full circle and such is the case with the social grace question. I’m in Austin for an event but I’m really more of a crasher than an attendee as I didn’t buy a ticket and sorta ended up here by chance. It’s likely against every rule in the Social Survival Guide, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say it’s a bit fun.
This Pomegranate and Guava Margarita is my ode to Austin because, like the city, it’s a little bit odd, a little unexpected, a bit creative, and thoroughly enjoyable. So, cheers to the weekend and breaking all the social norms in the name of new adventures!
Ginger Guava Pomegranate Margarita Cocktail Recipe
- 2 ounces guava juice
- 2 ounces pomegranate juice
- 1 1/2 ounces Domaine de Canton liqueur (or another ginger liqueur)
- 1 1/2 ounces 100% agave silver tequila
- 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- crystallized ginger for garnish (optional)
- Make The Margarita:Add all the ingredients except the crystallized ginger to a cocktail shaker, fill with halfway with ice, close, and shake it for about 15 seconds, until the shaker is cold. Strain the mixture into an ice filled glass and garnish with the crystallized ginger, if using.