I’m not sure how or why it took so long for me to have my first passionfruit mojito.
All The Passion Fruit Flavors
I’ve long been a fan of the sweet, tart, floral flavor of fresh passionfruit. And, when I met my husband and started spending more time in Hawaii, well, I started coming across a lot more of the passion fruit (aka lilikoi in Hawaiian) flavors.
From passionfruit margaritas at a wedding and passion fruit iced tea to passion fruit-filled malasadas and even the passion fruit custard pie our friend would make from scratch, the flavor showed up seemingly everywhere. No surprise since the vine seems to grow with abandonment across the islands.
Finding Fresh Passion Fruit
Fresh passion fruit can be hard to find on the mainland. Sometimes I find it growing rogue in a friend’s backyard and every once in a while it pops up at the farmers market. But, more often than not, you need to buy passion fruit juice or even frozen passion fruit pulp to get good passion fruit flavor.
But back to this Passion Fruit Mojito Cocktail recipe. When I visited Thailand, the cocktail became my go-to drink because almost every bar I went to had its own unique version. The best ones were always made with lots of fresh passion fruit so go ahead and add 1 or 2 or 3 to each drink if you can get that many.
What To Serve With This Passion Fruit Mojito
As for what to have with it? We say have something toasted and salty and snackable like peanuts. Specifically, we’d serve up these Kaffir Lime Peanuts, these Mexican Chile-Lime Peanuts, or even these Star Anise Hawaiian Style Boiled Peanuts.
Passion Fruit Mojito Cocktail Recipe
- Ice cubes
- 2 ounces white rum
- 1 ounce freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unrefined cane sugar
- 4 sprigs fresh mint leaves
- 1 large ripe passionfruit
or 1 tablespoon passionfruit puree
- 1 to 2 ounces chilled club soda
- Make The Crushed Ice: Wrap a handful of ice cubes in a clean kitchen towel or in an ice bag, and, using a rolling pin or mallet, tap on it until all the ice is broken up and crushed into pieces ranging from pea-sized to snowflake sized.
- Make The Mojito: Combine the rum, lime juice, sugar, all but 1 sprig of mint, and passion fruit in a cocktail shaker and muddle a few times to break up most of the mint and passionfruit seeds.Pour mixture into a tall glass (such as a Tom Collins), add ice to fill 3/4 of the way, stir then top with club soda, more ice (as needed), garnish with mint, and serve.