Hands down one of our favorite parts of Bangkok is the Chao Phraya riverfront.
Lined with tall high rises and constantly bustling with everything from long-tail boats to barges and one-man rowboats, you could people watch for hours on end, preferably with a good long drink and snack.
On a recent trip to Bangkok, we frequented the river bar at the Hotel Shangri La, which was always quiet.
Spicy Kaffir Lime Peanuts Recipe
- 12 ounces raw peanuts
- 10 kaffir lime leaf sliced into thin strips
- 1 medium lemongrass stalk ends trimmed, outer leaves peeled then rest thinly sliced
- 10 dried chile de arbol crumbled
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt plus more for garnish
- Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix until well coated. Roast until the peanuts are golden brown and everything is fragrant about 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.