There are few cocktails more classic than the Classic Old Fashioned Cocktail and with good reason: this recipe is simple to make and so delicious when made right.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Made with sugar, bourbon or whiskey, and bitters, this drink is everything a great cocktail should be: boozy, sweet, and bright but all in just the right amounts. And this is the best old fashioned recipe you will ever find.
Here’s what you’ll need to make an Old Fashioned Cocktail:
- Sugar cube
- Orange bitters
- Good-quality bourbon
- Ice cubes
- Brandied cherry
- Strip of orange peel
How To Make This Cocktail
This is one of the easiest drinks to make. Here’s what you’ll do:
- Muddle The Sugar: Place the sugar cube in a glass with the bitters and water and muddle then stir.
- Add The Alcohol: Add the bourbon, cherry, and ice, and stir.
- Squeeze The Orange Peel And Serve: Squeeze (aka express) the orange peel over the glass and drop it into the glass then serve.
History Of The Old Fashioned Cocktail
We’re sharing a super traditional way to make this cocktail but you could also make it in a mixing glass or batch it for a crowd. For the full history of this storied cocktail as well as tips to make it perfectly, head here.
Variations On The Old Fashioned Cocktail
Similar Cocktails To Try
Here are a few other cocktails we think you’ll like:
- Basil Citrus Berry Smash Cocktail Recipe
- Pineapple Mint Julep Margarita Cocktail Recipe
- Man O’War Cocktail Recipe
Classic Old Fashioned Cocktail Recipe
- 1 Demerara sugar cube
- 2 dashes ANGOSTURA orange bitters
- 1 splash cold water
- 2 ounces good-quality bourbon
- Ice cubes
- 1 cocktail cherry
- 1 large strip of orange peel
- Make A Classic Old Fashioned Cocktail: Place a sugar cube in the bottom of a rocks glass, then add the bitters and water and break up the sugar with a muddler or the back of a bar spoon, and stir to mix well. Add the bourbon or whiskey, cherry, and ice then stir with a bar spoon until the mixture is well combined, the glass is chilled, and the liquid is a touch cloudy. Express the orange peel over the glass, drop the orange peel into the glass, and serve immediately.