One of our favorite things about Fall is when the persimmons come into season, because, when they’ve arrived, they’ve arrived in full force. Here in California we have both major types of persimmons — the squat Fuyu and the teadrop-shaped Hachiya — and while the Fuyu is a perfect pairing in salads, we turn to the Hachiya anytime we want persimmon purée like in desserts or this Spiced Persimmon Old Fashioned Cocktail Recipe.
Speaking of, our latest cocktail creation is a Spiced Persimmon Old Fashioned cocktail — it’s a slightly sweet and very autumnal twist on a classic old fashioned. But, let’s be real, we made it as a sort of a holiday life preserver — so that no matter the family drama, or flight delay, or any other headache, you’ve got a good stiff drink to help you dial it down and put it all in perspective.
Spiced Persimmon Old Fashioned Cocktail Recipe
- 1/2 medium very ripe Hachiya persimmons seeded, ends trimmed and discarded, pulp scooped out
- 1/8 mandarin oranges
- 2 teaspoons Pure maple syrup
- 2 ounces rye or whiskey
- 4 dashes orange bitters
- 1 (3 inch) cinnamon stick for garnish
- Muddle The Persimmon: Combine persimmon, orange, and maple syrup in a rocks (aka lowball or Old Fashioned) glass and muddle just a few times to bruise the orange and just start to break up the persimmon.
- Mix The Old Fashioned: Add the ice, rye or whiskey, and orange bitters, grate a touch of the cinnamon over the top then stir with the cinnamon stick until chilled through. Serve.