With a cup of hot herbal tea, this Chewy Lemon Coconut Cookies recipe brightens up dreary afternoons. Eaten plain they are flavorful, but topped with lemon icing they are next level.
Chewy Lemon Coconut Cookies Recipe
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice divided
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon zest divided
- 4 tablespoons cold water divided
- 1 tablespoon ground raw flax seeds (whole flaxseeds will not do)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil solidified
- 3/4 cup unrefined cane sugar
- 1/2 cup, plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea salt
- Make The Lemon Icing: In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the sugar, 3 tablespoons of the lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of the water, and 1 teaspoon of the lemon zest until smooth.
- Make The Cookie Dough: In an upright blender, combine the flaxseed powder and water and blend until creamy. Pour the mixture into a large bowl and add the solidified coconut oil, sugar, the remaining lemon zest and lemon juice. Beat with a spoon until well blended and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the flours, 1/2 cup of the coconut, the baking soda and salt. Combine the dry mixture with the wet mixture and stir just until well combined and smooth in texture. Cover and refrigerate the batter for at least 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake The Cookies: Preheat oven to 350°F. Drop the dough by tablespoons, about 2 inches apart, onto two parchment-lined or well-greased baking sheets. Bake until the edges are starting to turn golden, 10 to 12 minutes, rotating the sheets halfway through the baking time. Let cool for 2 minutes on the sheets, then transfer the cookies to a wire rack to let cool completely.
- Spread the cookies with lemon icing. Sprinkle each cookie with 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of the remaining coconut and let set for about 1 hour.