I’ve got a confession: I eat any and everything when I’m out on the road.
But when I get home? At home I eat super vegetarian. As in lots of salads, dips, and veggies upon veggies. Truth is, it’s the only way I can get back on track after being on the road. And the thing I turn to time and again are pulses—I make dips, spreads, and mix them into my grain bowls.
But right now? Right this second I’ve got a crush on this Split Pea Veggie Wrap with Cilantro-Mint Chutney Recipe. It is a bit of a nod to India with all the fresh yogurt, the split pea dip that’s almost like a dal, and the bright herb chutney but it’s the more modern, balanced version.
Split Pea Veggie Wrap with Cilantro-Mint Chutney Recipe
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1/2 medium red onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves grated
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth or water
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lime juice divided
- 2 cups fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 cups fresh mint leaves
- 6 medium scallions (aka green onions) thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño chile ends trimmed seeds discarded, roughly chopped
- 4 whole wheat lavash or tortillas
- plain Greek yogurt
- 2 medium Persian cucumbers end trimmed and rest shaved into long strips on a mandoline or with a peeler
- 2 medium carrots ends trimmed and rest shaved into long strips on a mandoline or with a peeler
- 2 medium firm-ripe avocado pitted and thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 handfules kale sprouts
- Make The Split Pea Puree: Heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil to a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, stir to coat and cook until just soft. Add the split peas, stir to coat then add the broth, a pinch of each salt and pepper, the cumin and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook the split peas until they're very tender, about 30 to 40 minutes. Transfer the whole mixture to a food processor or blender and add 2 tablespoons of the lime juice, and additional salt and pepper, as desired. Pulse until the mixture comes together as a dip but it still retains some of its texture. (You want a mixture that's about as thick as hummus — add water as needed to make it thinner.)
- Make The Cilantro Mint Chutney: Combine the 2 cups cilantro leaves, 2 cups mint leaves, finely chopped jalapeno, remaining 1/4 cup lime juice, remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, and all the scallions in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Taste and add salt, as desired.
- Assemble The Split Pea Wraps: Lay the whole wheat lavash (you may want to cut it in half depending on how big the lavash is) out on a flat surface. Spread the split pea dip in the middle of the wrap then top with a spoonful of yogurt. Layer the cucumber and carrots, avocado slices, sprouts, and cilantro chutney then wrap to close. Repeat to make one more wrap and serve.