I’m an equal opportunity shortbread eater. Though I don’t love cookies, shortbread is a different thing – buttery, salty, sweet – when it’s made well, it’s amazing.
But sometimes I like to switch up the classic, like for this St Patrick’s Day, I wanted to make an Oatmeal Shortbread. Made with coconut oil, coconut sugar, and maple syrup, this Salted Chocolate Oatmeal Shortbread recipe tastes like my favorite bowl of oatmeal made into a cookie and dipped in chocolate. In other words, it’s amazing!
PIN IT FOR LATER!
Want to cook this recipe at a later date? Pin it to your Pinterest account so you can access it when you need some cooking inspiration!
Now, go stock up on all your cooking essentials, then head into the kitchen, make this, and share it with us by tagging @saltandwind and #swsociety on social!
Salted Chocolate Oatmeal Shortbread Recipe
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups all purpose or white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil melted
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup Pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 8 ounces semisweet or dark chocolate for garnish
- Smoked sea salt for garnish
- Prepare The Pan: Heat oven to 325°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Coat the base of a 9-inch springform pan with some coconut oil, line with a circle of parchment paper, and set aside.
- Mix The Shortbread Ingredients: Combine oat, flour, salt, and spices in a food processor and process until oats are mostly broken up but a few larger pieces remain.In a second large bowl, combine coconut oil, sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla and whisk together until smooth. Stir in flour and oat mixture and mix until well combined. Press mixture into prepared 9-inch springform pan (use the back of a measuring cup to help press it into the pan), cover, and place in the refrigerator to rest, at least 15 minutes (can be made through this step up to 1 day ahead).
- Score The Shortbread: When ready to bake, use a sharp knife to score the shortbread into 8 to 12 wedges. Bake until shortbread is golden, about 35 to 40 minutes. Remove shortbread from oven to cool completely.
- Coat In Chocolate: Once cool, remove from springform, cut into wedges. Melt the chocolate then dip one edge of each shortbread in the chocolate and scrape off any excess. Top with a pinch of smoked salt and set in the refrigerator until chocolate is hardened.