Ashlae traveled to Iceland and spent weeks there uncovering the beautiful country. Four of the five nights she was there, she dined on this hearty Icelandic Oat And Vegetable Soup made from an assortment of vegetables and rolled oats.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Although it sounds like an unusual combination, she promises it’s as delicious and satisfying as it is nutritious, and chances are you’ve got most (if not all) of the ingredients in your kitchen. Oat soup is pretty typical in Iceland, try this as to try a new culture.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this vegetable soup recipe:
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- Yellow Onion
- Vegetable Broth
- Yukon Gold Potatoes
- Bay Leaf
How To Make This Vegetable Soup Recipe
Here is how to make this soup:
- Sauteé The Leeks And Onions: Cook the leeks and onions in olive oil until soft.
- Add The Remaining Vegetables: Stir in the remaining vegetables and broth and bring to a boil.
- Simmer the Soup: Cook the soup until the vegetables are very soft then stir in the oats and kale and serve.
More Soup Recipes
Here are a few other popular soup recipes that are all able to be modified to be gluten free, plant based, and vegan:
- Ribollita Rustic Tuscan Bread And Vegetable Soup Recipe
- Classic French Lentil Soup Recipe
- Classic French Potato Leek Soup Recipe
Speaking of, be sure to check out our 50 top plant-based recipes for even more cooking inspiration!
Icelandic Vegetable and Oat Soup Recipe
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus more for garnish
- 1 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 medium leek trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves minced
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 10 cremini mushrooms thinly sliced
- 4 medium carrots cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 8 cups water or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potato small dice
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 medium dried bay leaf
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup finely chopped kale optional
- Maldon sea salt or other flaky sea salt for garnish
- Cook The Onions And Leeks: Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Once heated, add the onions and leeks; cook for 5 to 6 minutes or, until the onions are soft and transparent. Add the garlic and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper then cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add The Remaining Vegetables: Add the carrots and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, just until lightly fragrant, then cover with 6 cups of water. Add the potatoes, cauliflower, and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Simmer The Soup: Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook at a simmer for upwards of 2 hours. After at least one hour (or two if you cook it that long), stir in the oats and kale and continue cooking for 10 to 15 minutes.Season with a few heavy pinches of sea salt and serve with freshly ground black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.