Ashlae traveled to Iceland and spent weeks there uncovering the beautiful country.
Four of the five nights she was there she dined on a hearty Icelandic stew made from an assortment of vegetables and rolled oats.
Although it sounds like an unusual combination, she promises it’s as delicious and satisfying as it is nutritious, and chances are you’ve got most (if not all) of the ingredients in your kitchen.
A Few More Of Our Favorite Soups
Here are a few other popular soup recipes that are all able to be modified to be gluten free, plant based, and vegan:
- Ribollita Rustic Tuscan Bread And Vegetable Soup Recipe
- Classic French Lentil Soup Recipe
- Classic French Potato Leek Soup Recipe
Speaking of, be sure to check out our 50 top plant-based recipes for even more cooking inspiration!
Icelandic Vegetable and Oat Soup Recipe
- 3 to 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 medium leek trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves minced
- 10 cremini mushrooms thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 medium carrots cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 6 to 8 cups water or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potato small dice
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 medium dried bay leaf
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup finely chopped kale optional
- Cook The Onions And Leeks: Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Once heated, add the onions and leeks; cook for 5 to 6 minutes or, until the onions are soft and transparent. Add the garlic and mushrooms, then cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add The Remaining Vegetables: Add the carrots and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, just until lightly fragrant, then cover with 6 cups of water. Add the potatoes, cauliflower, and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Simmer The Soup: Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook at a simmer for upwards of 2 hours. After at least one hour (or two if you cook it that long), stir in the oats and kale and continue cooking for 10 to 15 minutes.Season with a few heavy pinches of sea salt and serve with freshly ground black pepper.