One recipe we turn to time and again for a crowd? Carnitas tacos! This is the Easiest Ever Carnitas Tacos recipe, it is spiced pork shoulder slow-cooked until tender then crisped until brown and served in tortillas — aka all our favorite things in one!
In Michoacán, Mexico where traditional carnitas come from, they aren’t shredded but cubed and browned. For whatever reason, we shred the slow-cooked pork shoulder stateside. No matter how you make it, the key is to get them browned and crispy before serving. If you’re a streetside taquero in Mexico, you do this on a flat top, but not everyone has a griddle in their home!
We’ve been using the NINJA Foodi for this very purpose because it can both pressure cook and crisp so you get crispy carnitas in no time. If you don’t have the Ninja Foodi, just throw the pork shoulder in your slow cooker and let it go for hours until it’s fork tender then crisp it in a hot skillet!
Pressure Cooker Carnitas Tacos Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder cut in 1-inch cubes
- 6 garlic cloves peeled, crushed
- Juice and zest of 1/2 an orange
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano or 20 leaves fresh
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 large red onion peeled, plus more diced onion for serving
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves chopped
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas for serving
- Avocado sliced, for serving
- Hot sauce for serving
- Sour cream for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Marinate the Pork: Place pork, garlic, orange juice and zest, oregano, salt, pepper, and chili powder in NINJA Foodi pot. Stir to combine. Place onion and stock in pot. Assemble pressure lid, making sure the pressure release valve is in the SEAL position. Select PRESSURE and set to HIGH. Set time to 20 minutes. Select START/STOP to begin.
- When pressure cooking is complete, quick release the pressure by moving the pressure release valve to the VENT position. Carefully remove the lid (pointing it away from you) until it has finished releasing pressure.
- Cook the Pork: Select SEAR/SAUTE and set to MD:HI. Select START/STOP. Using silicone-tipped tongs, remove onion from Ninja Foodi pot and shred pork. Allow pork to simmer for 10 minutes, or until the liquid in pot is reduced, stirring occasionally. Once liquid is reduced, stir agave nectar into the shredded pork. Close crisping lid. Select BROIL and set time to 8 minutes. Select START/STOP to begin.
- Carnitas Tacos Toppings: When cooking is complete, stir in cilantro and salt if needed. Place carnitas into tortillas and assemble with your favorite toppings.