Remember in school when you’d return from summer and share your favorite memories? I’d always make a collage of my favorite moments of the summer break. Now that I’m older, I do the same thing except that now I capture those memories in food (and cocktail) form. And, if I had to define the summer of 2015 in one sip, it’d be with an Aperol Spritz. I made a batch of them to sit poolside on 4th of July, toasted my engagement with another batch, and whipped up a punch bowl-worth for my soon-to-be-sister-in-law’s bridal shower.
And, on my recent trip to Italy it was so god awful hot, the only solution was a stiff Gin and Tonic or an Aperol Spritz. True, you can have them anytime of year but there’s something I love about enjoying them when it’s hot out. I mean, they drink them for breakfast in Northern Italy so I figure there’s never a bad time for a Spritz.
But, right now? To capture this very August? I’m making the Watermelon Ginger Aperol Spritz Cocktail recipe, with watermelon juice and a dash of homemade ginger juice. It’s a snapshot of this time of year when the produce is amazing, the days are hot, and you just don’t want it to end anytime soon.
Now, go stock up on all your cooking essentials, then head into the kitchen, make this, and share it with us by tagging @saltandwind and #swsociety on social!
Watermelon Ginger Aperol Spritz Cocktail Recipe
Make The Watermelon Juice:
- 1 pound seedless watermelon cubed, plus more for garnish
Make The Ginger Juice:
- 1 (5 inch) piece fresh ginger peeled and finely chopped
Make The Cocktail:
- 3 ounces chilled Prosecco
- 2 ounces Aperol
- 2 ounces fresh watermelon juice
- 1 splash ginger juice (optional)
- Ice cubes
- Make The Watermelon Juice: Place watermelon cubes in a food processor and process until smooth. Pass through a fine mesh sieve and discard solids.
- Make The Ginger Juice: Place ginger pieces in a food processor or blender and add 3/4 cup of water. Process until smooth then pass through a fine mesh sieve and discard solids.
- Make The Cocktail: Place a few ice cubes in a wine glass, add the Prosecco or another Brut sparkling wine, the Aperol and watermelon juice then top with a splash of the ginger juice, garnish with a slice of watermelon, and serve.