It’s time – time to take a break. As in a Spritz Break.
We know each other well enough that you know I love a good aperitivo (aka Italian happy hour). I adore the pairing of sunset, small bites, and a glass of something that works with anything from prosciutto to olives. And in the hot summer months, my go-to aperitivo drink is The Classic Spritz.
This summer I’ve been entertaining a lot and wanted a twist on the Spritz that I could mix by the batch and serve from happy hour to dinner hour without a worry. I’m talking a summer punch. We rarely see punch during the warmer months and I think it’s time we change that, starting with this Summer Break Aperol Spritz Punch recipe.
It’s a twist on the classic 3-2-1 Spritz recipe, with blood orange soda and homemade strawberry vodka, and, if you make a whole punch bowl, it turns into a 5-4-3-2-1 recipe!
This is a recipe that’s festive, fun, and really easy to make. And it can be scaled up or down as you please so you can make it for 4 people or 20, depending on the size of your party. Just like the classic Spritz, this is a low octane cocktail so it won’t overwhelm you in strength but it still has great flavor.
It’s a drink to serve when you gather friends alfresco for a lazy summer happy hour where you serve simple antipasti, this punch, and make no other plans except to enjoy each other’s company into the wee hours. That’s my kind of #SpritzBreak!
Aperol Spritz Punch Cocktail Recipe
- 2 pounds strawberries hulled and halved, divided
- 2 cups vodka
- 5 cups [just under 2 (750ml)] bottle chilled Prosecco or other dry sparkling wine
- 4 cups Aperol
- 3 cups blood orange soda
- 2 cups chilled club soda or seltzer water
- 1 cup strawberry vodka
- 4 oranges thinly sliced
- Strips of orange peel without any white pith, for garnish (optional)
- Ice cubes or ice block (see note below)
- Make The Strawberry Vodka: Combine the vodka and half of the strawberries (about 1 pound) in a glass jar or stainless steel airtight container and set aside for at least 12 hours. The vodka is ready when it is bright red and tastes like strawberries. Discard the berries and keep the vodka in an airtight container until ready to use.
- Make The Aperol Spritz Punch: In a large serving bowl, combine Prosecco, Aperol, Blood Orange soda, sparkling water, and 1 cup of the strawberry vodka. Stir in the orange slices and remaining strawberries. Add the ice block or ice cubes and serve with a rosette of orange peel (simply some orange peel twisted on itself into a rose shape), if desired.