We’re big fans of salads around here. And right now this Goat Cheese Hazelnut Shaved Root Vegetable Salad Recipe is one of the tops.
We believe that just because the polar vortex has taken over doesn’t mean we should give up on all things veg. When we’re on the road, whether we’re traveling to Italy or Mexico, we’re always ISO of creative salads no matter the time of year.
We’ve learned that salads can still be incredible in the colder months, and this simple but sophisticated Shaved Root Vegetable and Goat Cheese Salad recipe is proof of that.
Here we wanted to modernize the classic combination of spicy greens and citrus that we often see here in California. So I added in some toasty hazelnuts, tangy goat cheese, and creamy avocado. That way, as long as the heater is up, you can close your eyes and forget about cold weather and imagine you’re in the California sunshine, if even just for one moment.
Goat Cheese Hazelnut Shaved Root Vegetable Salad Recipe
For The Toasted Hazelnuts:
- 1/4 cup whole hazelnuts
For The Shaved Root Vegetables:
- 8 ounces kohlrabi trimmed and peeled
- 8 ounces baby beets trimmed and peeled
- 8 ounces carrots trimmed and peeled
- 4 ounces turnips trimmed and peeled
- 2 ounces baby mizuna
For The Grapefruit:
- 2 medium ruby red grapefruits
For The Balsamic Vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium firm-ripe avocado
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese (aka chèvre)
- Toast The Hazelnuts: Heat oven to 375° and bake hazelnuts for 12-15 minutes until roasted. Remove from oven and using a kitchen towel rub the nuts together to remove the skins. Roughly chop the nuts and set aside.TIP: Prepare the nuts up to one day ahead of time. Store it refrigerated in an airtight container.
- Prepare The Shaved Root Vegetables: Meanwhile, using the julienne blade of a mandolin, cut the kohlrabi into 1/4-inch julienne pieces and scatter them onto a large serving dish. Using a mandolin cut the beets, carrots, and turnips or radishes into 1/8-inch slices. Randomly scatter the sliced veggies over the kohlrabi.TIP: Prepare the vegetables up to one day ahead of time. Store them refrigerated in an airtight container.
- Supreme The Citrus: Using a knife trim the ends off the grapefruit and lay flat on a cutting board. Cut the rind and as much of the white pith off in strips leaving as much of the flesh as possible. Slice to the left and right of each membrane and remove the wedge. Scatter over the veggies.TIP: Prepare the orange up to one day ahead of time. Store it refrigerated in an airtight container.
- Make The Balsamic Vinaigrette: Combine the vinegar, oil, Dijon, and sugar in a small jar and season with salt and pepper. Close with lid and vigorously shake until completely combined. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add half the dressing to the salad and refrigerate the platter for 5 to 10 minutes to chill.TIP: Make the dressing up to one week ahead of time. Store it refrigerated in an airtight container. Remove from refrigerator at least 30 minutes before using and shake before serving.
- Assemble The Salad: Meanwhile, crumble the goat cheese into large chunks. Cut avocado in half, remove pit and rind and cut into 1/4-inch slices. Add the goat cheese, avocado, and mizuna to the salad. Top with remaining dressing, hazelnuts, and fresh cracked pepper and serve.