It’s true; our love for toast is never-ending. Especially in the Spring and Summer when I want to cook easily, all I really need for lunch is a few well-made toasts.
Lately, we’ve been making this twist on an avocado toast with a cilantro-tahini dressing and a shaved asparagus salad. Yes, you can deconstruct it and use the salad as a side to almost anything or the dressing anywhere you, well, use dressing.
But try it all together as the Asparagus Cilantro Tahini Avocado Toast recipe, that it is, and we’re sure you’ll agree there’s a lot to love about toast.
Asparagus Cilantro Tahini Avocado Toast Recipe
For The Tahini Dressing:
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 3 to 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves and stems
- 4 teaspoons honey
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For The Avocado Toast:
- 8 (1/2 inch) slices country bread
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces asparagus spears
- 2 firm-ripe avocado
- Make The Tahini Dressing: Combine tahini, 3 tablespoons of lemon juice, cilantro, honey, water, a pinch of salt, and a few cranks of pepper in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Taste and add more lemon, honey, water, or salt, as desired (you want it to be the consistency of melted ice cream)
- Bake The Toasts: Meanwhile, heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Brush the bread with olive oil, season with salt, and bake until golden brown, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Shave The Asparagus: Holding the end of the asparagus stalk, use a vegetable peeler to shave the asparagus into long thin strips (don't worry if the tips snap off). Combine the shaved asparagus and any tips in a bowl, add a drizzle of olive oil and some salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Assemble The Toast: When you're ready to make the toasts, halve and pit the avocados, and mash with a fork. Put about 1/4 of an avocado on each toast, then top with a spoonful of dressing and a handful of asparagus (folding them on themselves, so they fit on the toast). Top with a bit of salt and serve.