These Muhammara Chicken Melts came about because, well, I’ve always liked the idea of an open-face chicken melt but never really found one I liked. And because I had a ton of Muhammara hanging around after making a batch, I was trying to get creative with it. And thus was born these Open-Face Muhammara Chicken Melts, which, if you ask me, are anything but average.
Muhammara Chicken Melts Recipe
For The Muhammara:
- 1 recipe Red Pepper Sambal Muhammara Dip
For The Baked Chicken:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/4 ounce fresh thyme sprigs
- kosher salt
For The Sauteed Mushrooms:
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms thinly sliced
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For The Chicken Melts:
- 4 rolls halved (ciabatta or French work well)
- 8 thin slices Gruyere, aged Cheddar, or aged Gouda
- Make The Muhammara: Make the Muhammara Dip according to the recipe.
- Bake The Chicken: Heat oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Place chicken in a baking dish, top with 3 tablespoons of olive oil, lemon, thyme sprigs, and a big pinch of salt and a few cranks of pepper then turn to coat. Bake uncovered until chicken juices run clear and internal temperature is 165°F, about 30 minutes. Set aside until cool enough to handle then thinly slice.
- Saute The Mushrooms: Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, season with salt, and cook, stirring rarely until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper then set aside.
- Make The Chicken Melts: Heat oven to broil and arrange a rack in the middle. Spread a few spoonfuls of Muhammara Dip on one sandwich half then top with a few slices of chicken, a spoonful of the mushrooms, and a slice of cheese. Repeat to assemble 8 sandwiches then arrange on a rimmed baking sheet. Broil until cheese is melted and browned, about 3 minutes. Serve immediately.