I’m all for classics but sometimes I need a fun change, you know what I mean? The Kentucky Derby, the legendary horse race that’s been held annually in Louisville since 1875, is a great time that’s all about big hats and Mint Juleps but honestly, I’ve just never been convinced about the Mint Julep (big hats, on the other hand, yes!). But, as you may have figured out by now, I have a never-ending, deeply passionate love for all things ginger, so I tweaked my all time favorite ginger-y cocktail, the delightful Moscow Mule, to make it Derby worthy, and I came up with this Kentucky Mule Cocktail recipe.
Now, go stock up on all your cooking essentials, then head into the kitchen, make this, and share it with us by tagging @saltandwind and #swsociety on social!
Kentucky Mule Cocktail Recipe
- 1/2 Lime plus one lime wheel for garnish
- 3 sprigs fresh mint leaves divided
- 2 ounces good-quality bourbon
- Chilled ginger beer
- Crush The Ice: Wrap a few handfuls of ice cubes in a clean towel and, using a rolling pin or muddler, tap on it until all the ice is broken up and crushed.
- Make The Kentucky Mule: Fill a tall glass or Moscow mule mug with a lime and the leaves of two sprigs of mint and muddle. Add ice, pour in the bourbon, and fill with the ginger beer. Garnish with mint and serve.