There are those recipes that are inspired by the places we’ve traveled “souvenir-recipes,” the meals we’ve eaten, but then those recipes that are home. They’re a comfort food so good we could make them at the first sign of homesickness and all is well. Lately, when it happens, we cuddle under a blanket, open a bottle of wine, and cook this over-the-top Grilled Cheese with Slow-Roasted Tomatoes, Bacon, and Chipotle Mayo recipe.
Grilled Cheese with Slow-Roasted Tomatoes, Bacon, and Chipotle Mayo Recipe
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons good-quality mayonnaise
- Chipotle en adobo sauce or chipotle purée
- 4 ounces Jack cheese
or mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 4 slices cooked bacon
- Slow-roasted tomatoes
storebought or homemade
- Spread the butter on the one side of each slice of bread. Mix together some of the chipotle en adobo sauce (start with just a teeny bit) and mayo and taste. Add more chipotle for more heat. Assemble a sandwich: Spread mayo mixture on the unbuttered side of one piece of bread then layer a quarter of the cheese, half the bacon, a spoonful of the tomatoes and the remaining cheese. Close and repeat with the second sandwich.
- Heat a large cast iron pan over medium heat. Place the sandwiches in the pan, and cook undisturbed until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Carefully flip and cook on the second side until golden brown and the cheese is melted. Serve with tomato soup, if desired.