Granola in our salad is a total obsession over here at Salt and Wind and never more than this time of year. That’s to say when we’re all doing our best to resolve to eat and exercise better and more, we’re all about salads. But that plan can get boring in a minute without, well, some sort of plan. Ours is to switch up each salad and make sure there’s always something a little indulgent from a great cheese to loads of avocado, or, in this case this crunchy Grape and Fennel Arugula Salad with Savory Granola recipe, that’s got any old crouton beat.
Grape and Fennel Arugula Salad with Savory Granola Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup shelled pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese plus more for garnish
- Kosher salt and Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg white beaten
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt or buttermilk
- 1/3 cup Crema or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 5 ounces baby spinach, kale, or chard
- 1 cup halved red grapes
- 1 medium fennel bulbs halved, cored, and thinly sliced
- For the granola: Heat the oven to 325°F and arrange a rack in the middle and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine oats, pumpkin seeds, cheese, and salt in a large bowl and stir to combine; set aside.
- Place the egg white, oil, and soy in a small bowl and whisk until foamy then pour it over the oats and mix until everything is well coated. Spread the mixture in a thin, even layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, stirring every 10 minutes, about 30 minutes total. Remove the pan from the oven, place it on a wire rack, and cool the granola completely. (It will crisp up as it cools.)
- For the dressing: Combine buttermilk or yogurt, crème fraîche or sour cream, vinegar, 1 teaspoon of salt, 3/4 teaspoon of pepper, and sugar in a small food processor or bowl and process or whisk until evenly combined. Taste, adjust seasoning as desired and serve.
- For the salad: To serve, arrange greens on a serving dish, top with shaved fennel and grapes, sprinkle granola, and top with shavings of cheese. Pass dressing on the side.