Being that we work in travel, we’re on the road a lot – as in mail gets held on the regular a lot. And though there are some amazing places to eat in almost every city we hit, it’s pretty much a given that the food while in-transit is totally forgettable.
So, at Salt & Wind, we’ve made a very informal vow to pack as many healthy travel snacks as possible. Some are as simple as bringing along some dates and almonds, but other times we like to make something a little extra special like these Superfood Coconut Chocolate Coins. They’re a healthy-ish treat since we topped them with nutrient-packed superfoods like flax-and-honey-roasted nuts, goji berries, toasted coconut, and cacao nibs.
This Superfood Chocolate Mendiants recipe can last days so you’ll be good no matter how long you’re on the road – just be sure to make enough to share with your fellow fliers or you may get a lot of jealous looks.
Superfood Chocolate Mendiants Recipe
- 1/2 cup whole raw almonds walnuts, or pistachios
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar, brown rice syrup, or honey
- 1 tablesoon Chia seeds of flaxseeds
- 5 ounces dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup raw coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons Raw cacao nibs and goji berries, for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oven to 325°F, arrange a rack in the middle, and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine the nuts, honey, and flaxseeds or chia in a small saucepan and place over low heat until the honey just begins to bubble. Remove from the heat, stir to make sure the nuts are well coated in the flaxseeds or chia, and, using a slotted spoon, scoop the nuts up and let the excess honey drain. Spread nuts on the prepared baking sheet and bake until golden brown and toasted, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat to cool slightly, at least 5 minutes then break into bite-sized clusters. (The nuts can be roasted up to 1 day ahead – store at room temperature in an airtight container.)
- Meanwhile, line a second rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl then set over a pan of simmering water and stir until smooth, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly, about 2 minutes. Carefully pour the chocolate onto the parchment paper to roughly a 1 1/2-inch diameter circle. Repeat to form about 18 coins.
- Working quickly (before the chocolate firms up), arrange the roated nuts, coconut, goji berries, and cacao nibs over the chocolate. Place the coins in the refrigerator until set up, at least 10 minutes. Store the coins refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 10 days.