You know that cookie recipe that’s so traditional and true you don’t dare alter it?
These chocolate orange biscotti are exactly that! Our Aida Mollenkamp has been making these classic biscotti cookies since she first started cooking and perfected them when she lived in Italy.
These days she regularly brings this Chocolate Chunk Orange Biscotti Cookie recipe out for the Christmas holidays. The key is good-quality chocolate that’s cut into chunks and lots and lots of orange zest. The result is a cookie that like our favorite Italian desserts is just sweet enough and is as good with coffee as it is on its own.
Chocolate Chunk Orange Biscotti Cookie Recipe
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 8 ounces dark chocolate roughly chopped
- Cream The Butter And Sugar: Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and whisk until evenly mixed; set aside. Combine the butter, sugar, orange zest and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle. Beat at medium-high speed until light in color and fluffy.
- Add Remaining Ingredients: With the mixer still running, add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Reduce the speed to low, add the chopped chocolate and mix until just combined. Add the flour mixture and mix just until incorporated. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, about 1 hour.TIP: Biscotti dough can be made to this point up to 1 month ahead. Wrap in plastic then put in a resealable plastic bag and freeze until ready to use.
- Shape And Cut The Biscotti Dough: Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Divide the dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, using lightly floured hands, roll each half into a log 1 1/2-inches in diameter. Arrange the logs on the prepared baking sheet, spacing them 5 inches apart.
- Bake The Biscotti: Bake until light brown and firm to the touch, about 30 minutes (the logs will spread during baking). Remove from the oven and let cool slightly on the baking sheet. Leave the oven set at 350ºF.
- Bake The Sliced Biscotti: Using a spatula, carefully transfer the logs to a work surface. Using a serrated knife, cut on the diagonal into slices 3/4 inch thick. Arrange the slices, cut side down, on the baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool. TIP: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.