Before you make this recipe, I’ve got a big ol’ caveat to throw out there.
You all know how much we love chocolate, right? Well, then you’ll understand why this is not hot cocoa but hot chocolate. We’re talking the real deal, Euro-style hot chocolate which is basically drinkable ganache and a dessert unto itself.
So, for this Cinnamon and Tequila Hot Chocolate Cocktail recipe, we used really good dark chocolate, some milk, and spiced it so it’s got a flavor reminiscent of Mexican chocolate but then took it there by spiking it with top-shelf aged tequila so that about two sips in, you’ll be feeling really comfy and cozy.
Go stock up on all your cooking essentials then head into the kitchen, make this, and share it with us by tagging @saltandwind and #swsociety on social!
Cinnamon and Tequila Hot Chocolate Cocktail Recipe
- 3 cups almond milk or whole milk
- 2 (3 inch) cinnamon sticks plus more for garnish
- 1 whole vanilla bean split lengthwise and seeds scraped and reserved
- 5 ounces dark chocolate (about 72%), finely chopped
- Pinch of salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons unrefined cane sugar
- 2 to 3 ounces good quality Anejo tequila
- Infuse The Milk: Place almond milk or milk, cinnamon, vanilla bean, and vanilla seeds in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. When it simmers, set mixture aside to steep for at least 10 minutes or until the mixture is flavored to the level you like. Strain off the cinnamon and vanilla bean.
- Make The Hot Chocolate: Return milk to stove over medium heat and whisk chocolate, 1 tablespoon sugar, and salt until chocolate is melted and smooth. Add 2 ounces tequila and simmer another 5 minutes. Taste and add additional sugar or tequila, as desired. Serve garnished with a cinnamon stick.