No joke, my sister used to eat a pint of Chocolate-Peanut Butter Ice Cream after school everyday in middle school so, when we decided to takeover my sister’s backyard for a Friends Who Fete: Ice Cream Social, I knew I had to make this ice cream. This update on the classic has homemade mini Chocolate Almond Butter Cups mixed in (though the Trader Joe’s Mini Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups are pretty perfect too) as well as not one but two layers of Almond Butter. Yes, my sister did like the Chocolate Almond Butter Cup and Almond Butter Swirl Ice Cream recipe.
Chocolate Almond Butter Cup and Almond Butter Swirl Ice Cream Recipe
For The Ice Cream Base:
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar divided
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese softened
For The Chocolate Sauce:
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup espresso or strong coffee
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate finely chopped
For The Swirl:
- 1 cup (about 5 ounces) mini peanut butter cups or homemade mini almond butter cups
- 3/4 cup natural creamy peanut or almond butter stirred and room temperature
- Make The Ice Cream: In a bowl, stir together 1/4 cup milk and the cornstarch; set slurry aside. In a 4-quart saucepan, whisk together remaining milk and the cream, 1/2 cup of the sugar, syrup, and salt; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 4 minutes; stir in slurry. Return to a boil and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Place cream cheese in a bowl and pour in 1/4 cup hot milk mixture; whisk until smooth. Then whisk in remaining milk mixture.
- Make The Chocolate Sauce: Bring cocoa, brewed coffee, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan over high heat; cook for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate.
- Stir sauce into ice cream base. Pour mixture into a gallon plastic bag; seal, and submerge in a bowl of ice water until chilled. Pour mixture into an ice cream maker; process according to manufacturer's instructions. Just before turning off the ice cream maker, add the mini peanut or almond butter cups and let mix for just a few seconds.
- Make The Ice Cream Swirl: Immediately remove the ice cream from the maker and layer into a 1 pound loaf pan. Layer one third of the ice cream into the loaf pan then add half of the peanut or almond butter and spread to the edges of the pan. Layer with another third of the ice cream and the remaining peanut or almond butter. Top with remaining ice cream, transfer to a storage container, and freeze until set.