You know those times where it’s like you’re living the movie The Hangover – the 1st one of course because it’s the best – and you don’t know what or when but you know it did happen. It really truly did happen and you need a get-out-of-jail-card? We’re all talking about bad eating, right?
Because I can’t help you with actual, real-deal jail, but I can tell you that if it’s bad eating then this Brown Rice Whole Grain Bowl With Cashew Lemon Dressing recipe is the cure. I’m not gonna lie – I had something sorta like this at Starbucks a few months back when I was nonstop traveling and wanted to make my own version so here it is. But, no, I cannot serve you a Triple Mocha Latte with it.
Go stock up on all your cooking essentials then head into the kitchen, make this, and share it with us by tagging @saltandwind and #swsociety on social!
Brown Rice Whole Grain Bowl With Cashew Lemon Dressing Recipe
- 12 ounces butternut squash trimmed, peeled, seeded and small dice
- 4 ounces kale sprouts ends trimmed and separated into leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1/2 cup cashew butter can use tahini, almond butter, or peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 medium garlic clove
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Kosher salt and Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooked brown rice or another cooked whole grain
- 2 medium carrots grated
- 1 medium beet grated
- 2 cups fresh cooked chickpeas (or one 16-ounce can)
- Roast The Butternut Squash: Heat oven to 400°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil then drizzle butternut squash with just enough oil to coat the squash, add a pinch of salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Arrange squash in one layer on one half of the baking sheet and roast until just starting to become tender, about 10 minutes.Toss kale sprouts with remaining oil then add to baking sheet and roast both the squash and kale another 10 minutes until squash is fork tender and kale sprout leaves are crisp like kale chips.
- Make The Cashew Dressing: Meanwhile, make the dressing by combining the cashew butter, lemon juice, vinegar, honey, garlic, water, and a pinch of salt and pepper in a mini food processor or blender. Process until mixture is smooth (it should be thicker like a dip and not pourable).
- Serve The Grain Bowl: To serve, arrange the grains among two to three bowls, top with a bit of the chickpeas, carrots, beets, squash, and kale sprouts and a spoonful of the cashew dressing. Pass more cashew dressing on the side.