Brown Rice Chirashi Bowl Recipe
- 3/4 cup short grain brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon unrefined cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 ounces sushi grade ahi tuna, salmon, or hamachi sliced 1/4-inch thick on the bias and refrigerated until ready to serve
- 1 medium Persian cucumber sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1/4 cup pickled ginger
- 1/2 cup daikon sprouts or pea shoots, trimmed
- 1/2 medium lemon thinly sliced
- 1/4 sweet onion thinly sliced
- 1 small firm-ripe avocado halved, pitted, and thinly sliced
- Low-sodium soy sauce for serving
- Prepared wasabi for serving
- Steam The Rice: In a small pot with a tight fitting lid bring rice and water to a boil. Stir, then reduce heat to low and cook for about 40 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice cooked through.
- About 5 to 10 minutes before rice is done bring the vinegar, sugar, and salt to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and stir to dissolve sugar and salt.
- Make Sushi Rice: Once rice is done, transfer to a wide bowl or small sheet pan and pour over the vinegar solution. Using a wooden rice paddle mix the vinegar through the rice using a flipping and chopping motion. This helps to release the hot air and creates a coating on the grains of rice. Continue to mix the rice for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Assemble The Chirashi Bowl: Divide the rice between two wide bowls. Layer slices of your fish over lapping each other while putting a slice of lemon and a few onion slices between each piece. Place a little pile of pickled ginger next to the fish. Then create a pile of cucumbers next to the ginger. Fan slices of half an avocado along the other side of the bowl. In the middle of the bowl place a mound of pea shoots. Serve with a side dish of soy sauce and wasabi.