When it comes to refreshing, it’s hard to do better than watermelon juice. Most watermelons are sweet enough that I just blend them up, strain them and drink them straight, though we add a little honey or lime juice when it needs a little kick.
So, for summer entertaining, Watermelon Margaritas have become my staple – I prefer mine, the Watermelon Pomegranate Margarita Cocktails recipe, with a touch of pomegranate liqueur to bring a little tartness and a deep ruby color to the whole thing. These can be made one by one or by the pitcher — it’s a one-size-fits-all drink, which is why we love it so much. Speaking of margaritas, we created this for our friend Kate of ¡Hola Jalapeño! as part of her cocktail extravaganza that is Margarita Week!
Watermelon Pomegranate Margarita Cocktails Recipe
- 4 ounces fresh watermelon juice (blend and strain fresh watermelon)
- 3 ounces 100% agave silver tequila
- 1 1/2 ounces Pama pomegranate liqueur
- 1/4 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- Watermelon formed into spheres with a measuring spoon, for garnish
- Chili powder for garnish
- Sea salt for garnish
- Make The Garnish: For the garnish, form the watermelon into spheres by using a melon baller (a round 1/2 teaspoon-size measuring spoon will work too) and scoop the watermelon to create two melon balls. Mix the chili powder and salt in a small bowl or a plate then dip half of the watermelon balls in the mix and skewer with a toothpick. Garnish each drink with a watermelon ball and serve.
- Make The Cocktail: Combine watermelon juice, tequila, PAMA liqueur, lime juice in a cocktail shaker and add enough ice to fill halfway. Close and shake until the shaker is frosted, about 20 shakes. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass filled with ice. Garnish each drink with a watermelon ball and serve.