When summer is in full swing, we’re all about BLTs. And, yes, the classic is always good by us, but, when we’re throwing a party, we make these bite-sized biscuit BLTs, the Thyme Biscuit BLT with Brown Sugar Bacon recipe.
Thyme Biscuit BLT with Brown Sugar Bacon Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely ground cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/3 cups chilled heavy cream plus more for brushing the biscuits
- 8 bacon slices cut in half
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- Good-quality mayonnaise for serving
- 8 heirloom tomatoes sliced
- Baby romaine lettuce hearts or little gems lettuce, for serving
- Jalapeño honey for drizzling
- To Bake The Cream Biscuits: Heat oven to 400°F and arrange a rack in the middle. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, thyme, sugar, baking powder, and salt until evenly combined. Stir in the cream until a loose dough forms. Lightly flour a clean work surface, turn the dough out onto the surface, and knead briefly until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Pat into a 1-inch thick circle and stamp out as many biscuits as you can. Gather the scraps, pat into a 1-inch thick circle and continue until all the dough has been used up (you should have around 8 to 10 biscuits total). Place the biscuits on a parchment-lined baking sheet and brush with a little cream. Bake until the tops are crispy and golden brown, about 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and prep the bacon.
- To Make The Brown Sugar Bacon: Meanwhile, place the brown sugar on a shallow dish and press each piece of bacon into the sugar, coating each side. Nest an ovenproof cooling rack in a parchment-lined baking sheet and cook the bacon in the oven until crisp, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven until cool enough to handle.
- For each BLT, split a biscuit then spread some mayonnaise on the bottom half. Top with a few slices of bacon, a few pieces of lettuce, a few slices of tomato, drizzle with honey and serve.