You’ve probably noticed that we’re really into all things tequila around here. And, of all those things, we’re really big fans of a good margarita like this Spicy Kumquat Thyme Margarita.
Why You’ll Want To Make This Recipe
This margarita is made with one of our favorite under-appreciated winter citrus, the kumquat. Their sweet-super tart flavor is ah-mazing tossed with a roasted pork loin, sliced into an arugula salad, or cooked into a quick marmalade. Here we combine it with orange-flavored liqueur, lime juice, and great tequila for a sweet-tart margarita. It’s essentially a Cadillac Margarita recipe but with spiced tequila, kumquats, and fresh thyme leaves.
The ingredients needed for this recipe are:
- Añejo tequila
- Jalapeño chiles
- Fresh thyme
- sea salt
- Agave Syrup or Simple Syrup
- Freshly-squeezed lime juice
- Orange liqueur
How to Make A Kumquat Margarita
Here are the steps to make this cocktail:
- Make The Infused Tequila: Combine the chile and tequila in a nonreactive container (ie glass or stainless steel) and set aside.
- Make The Thyme Salt: Meanwhile, combine the chopped thyme and salt on a plate and mix until well combined.
- Salt The Rim: Rub a cut lime around the glass then roll the edge into the salt and press to adhere.
- Shake The Cocktail: Add the kumquats to the bottom of a cocktail shaker and muddle. Then strain the tequila then add to a cocktail shaker along with simple syrup, lime, and orange liqueur and ice. Shake well.
- Strain And Serve: Strain the mixture a cocktail glass filled with ice then top with more kumquats, thyme salt, and serve.
Spicy Kumquat Thyme Margarita Cocktail Recipe
For The Infused Tequila:
- 1 cup good quality Añejo tequila
- 1/2 jalapeño chile
For The Thyme Salt:
- 12 fresh thyme sprigs
leaves removed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea salt
For The Kumquat Margarita:
- 6 kumquats
halved plus 1 more thinly sliced for garnish
- 1 1/2 ounces jalapeño-infused tequila
- 1/2 ounce agave syrup or simple syrup
- 1/2 ounce freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 ounce Cointreau or other orange liqueur
- 1 Lime
cut into sixths for the rim of the glass
Make The Infused Tequila:
- Place the jalapeño in the tequila and let soak for at least 30 minutes. Depending on the heat level you like, you can either leave the jalapeño in the tequila or strain it off and discard it.TIP: The strained tequila can be made up to one month ahead. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Make The Thyme Salt:
- Combine the chopped thyme with the salt on a small plate and, using your fingers, crush the mixture until well combined.
Make The Margarita:
- Press half of a squeezed lime along the rim of a highball glass. Then roll the rim into the thyme salt. Place the halved kumquats in the bottom of a cocktail shaker then muddle using a muddler or the base of a wooden spoon. Add the tequila, simple syrup, lime, and orange-flavored liqueur to the cocktail shaker. Fill halfway with ice then close and shake until thoroughly chilled. Strain into a glass filled with crushed ice and garnish with some sliced kumquats and a pinch of the thyme salt.