It’s hard to want anything aside from a classic Mai Tai when you’re on Maui, we know. But then you’d be missing out on the super interesting drinks being mixed up by talented mixologists like Aaron Alcala-Mosley at the Fairmont’s Luana Bar. He first caught our attention with his twist on a classic daiquiri known as the Daiquiri Moderno but he kept our attention with this drink known as the Makalapua Cocktail. The word ‘makalapua’ means to blossom in Hawaiian which is a totally fitting name for a drink that’s made with a rose and hibiscus syrup and finished with lavender!
Makalapua Cocktail Recipe
- 2 1/4 cups cold water
- 1/2 cup hibiscus leaves or tea
- 1/2 cup dried roses
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 ounces vodka
- 3/4 ounce freshly-squeezed grapefruit juice plus a grapefruit twist for garnish
- 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce homemade Flower simple syrup
- Lavender bitters
- For The HIbiscus Simple Syrup: Combine the 2 1/4 cups of cold water and the dried flowers in a small pot, bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add the sugar and stir until it is fully dissolved. Remove from heat, and allow to cool (at least 30 minutes). Strain through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth and set aside until ready to use.
- For The Makalapua Cocktail: Combine the vodka, grapefruit, and lime juice in a cocktail shaker. Add ice to fill halfway, close, and shake. Strain into a martini glass. Garnish with a large grapefruit twist and 3 sprays of lavender bitters and serve.