Our favorite cocktail on the island of Maui? Truth is it’s got nothing to do with the Mai Tai! We first had this modern slant on the daiquiri at the Fairmont Kea Lani’s Luana Bar where the uber-talented mixologist Aaron Alcala-Mosley is at the helm. Even if you’re not staying on property, the cocktails along are worth a visit. And, while it’s hard to go wrong, we’re partial to this Daiquiri Moderno. In fact, we like it so much, we’re counting the days until we’re back on island so we can get it again. Until then, we’ll be making this recipe to DIY it!
Daiquiri Moderno Cocktail Recipe
- 2 1/4 cup superfine sugar
- 1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3/4 cup freshly-squeezed grapefruit juice
- Rind of 1 ruby red grapefruits
- Rind of 3 limes
- 1 1/4 ounce Mount Gay Eclipse Rum
- 1/2 ounce JH Rhum Agricole
- 3/4 ounce Lime~Grapefruit Cordial
- 1 dash Luxardo Maraschino liqueur
- Dash Creole bitters
- 1 Lime slice
- 1 sugar cane stick
- For The Cordial: In a quart container, combine the juice and sugar. Stir until it is fully dissolved. Add the peels and stir to ensure they are submerged. Place the mixture in a fridge for 48 hours. When ready, strain out the peels, bottle, and serve.
- For The Cocktail: Combine the Mount Gay Eclipse rum, the JM Ruhm Agricole Blanc, 3/4 ounce of the Lime~Grapefruit Cordial, 1 dash Luxardo Maraschino in a cocktail shaker, close and dry shake (as in without ice) quickly to make frothy. Pour into a small carafe.Place crushed ice in a double old fashioned glass and garnish with a lime wheel and sugar cane stick. Put 2 dashes of the Creole Bitters on top the slowly pour the carafe of cocktail over the crushed ice and stir with a cane sugar stick and serve.