An easy recipe for a modern twist on a classic tea sandwich with Moroccan flavors, these cheese puff sandwiches are loaded with braised Moroccan chicken, pickled onions, and spicy baby arugula. You will repeat this Gougères Tea Sandwiches With Moroccan Braised Chicken recipe, for sure.
Gougères Tea Sandwiches With Moroccan Braised Chicken Recipe
Make The Moroccan Braised Chicken:
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken
- 1 (14 ounce) container crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup pitted olives
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Peel of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
Make The Quick Pickled Onions:
- 1 medium red onion quartered and sliced paper thin
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 recipe Gougères made without pancetta and thyme
- 1 handful baby arugula or other spicy green
- Make The Braised Chicken: Combine the chicken, tomatoes, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, olive oil, 2 teaspoons of salt, and lemon peel in a slow cooker and stir to coat. Place slow cooker on high for 3 hours or on high for 5 hours on the low setting (depending on your slow cooker brand).Towards the end of cooking, use forks to shred the chicken and stir it so everything gets mixed together. Continue to cook until chicken is so tender it is falling apart, and all flavors are well combined.TIP: Chicken can be fully cooked up to 4 days ahead. Store refrigerated in an airtight container and warm up before using.
- Make The Quick Pickled Onions: Add the vinegar, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt to a small bowl and mix to help dissolve and set aside. Cut the onions into paper-thin slices, add to the vinegar, and toss to coat.Set aside to allow to quick pickle, about 10 minutes.TIP: Onions can be picked up to 4 days ahead. Store refrigerated in an airtight container until ready to use.
- Assemble The Sandwiches: Slice all the gougères in half so that the can be used like sandwiches. Spread a spoonful of the braised chicken (without the lemon peel or olives) on all the sandwiches. Pile some of the pickled onto each gougère, add a few pieces of arugula, close with a toothpick, and serve.