Restraint is the running theme around here when it comes to dessert – just a bit sweet, easy, elegant (hopefully). But these brownies are inspired by a trip to Brazil and, if I learned anything while there, it’s that they’re not big on restraint down there. Especially when it comes to dessert. Especially when the dessert are brigadeiros – cocoa and condensed milk truffles. Some of my favorite were from Doceria Tudo Bolo in Belem where they make brigadeiros, brigadeiro brownies, brigadeiros….you get the point. That inspired me to brownie-fy the brigadeiro so here it is: The Fudgy Coconut Brigadeiro Brownies recipe. Together they make for a super rich, confection-y treat that’s brigadeiro stopper with sprinkles galore because that’s how they do down there.
Brigadeiro Fudgy Brownies Recipe
For The Coconut Chocolate Frosting:
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 ounces dark chocolate finely chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter cut into cubes, room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For The Fudgy Brownies:
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate roughly chopped
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter,
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup unrefined cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly brewed espresso optional
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup all purpose or white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- Chocolate sprinkles, toasted coconut, or chopped nuts for garnish (optional)
- For The Coconut Chocolate Frosting: Combine the 1/2 cup of coconut milk and 1/2 cup of sugar in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until just starts to simmer. Immediately lower the heat to low and cook at a low simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture coats the back of a spoon, about 20 to 30 minutes. Meanwhile, start on the brownies.When the coconut milk is ready, remove from heat and stir in the 2 ounces of finely chopped chocolate until melted then set aside to cool slightly. Transfer mixture to a stand mixer or large bowl and beat in 1/2 cup butter piece by piece then add the 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla and continue to beat until mixture is a frosting consistency, about 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside to cool until brownies are ready.
- For The Fudgy Brownies: Heat oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Coat an 8-by-8-inch glass baking dish with butter or oil. Combine the 6 ounces of chocolate and 8 tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until evenly melted. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.Combine the eggs, 1 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, espresso (if using), and salt in a large bowl and briefly stir until just evenly incorporated. Add the cooled chocolate and mix until uniform in color. Add the flour and almond meal and stir until just incorporated (no white streaks should remain). Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish and bake until a tester inserted into the center of the brownies comes out clean, about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before removing and cutting.
- To Assemble: Once brownies are cooled completely, remove from baking dish and flip so underside is facing upwards. Frost brownies with the brigadeiro frosting (you won’t need all of it) then garnish with sprinkles, coconut or nuts. You can set brownies aside or refrigerate before cutting into 24 pieces and serving.