We know, there are a lot of reasons you could say Valentine’s Day sucks. But one reason we love it? It’s that time when we’re about all things chocolate and, as a chocoholic, that means I want tart is that it’s seriously simple to pull together but it looks like it’s from the pages of the Dean & Deluca holiday catalog.
So, while I don’t celebrate Valentine’s Day, this would be the tart I’d turn to was I looking to knock the socks (and other clothing) off a special someone.
Mascarpone Whipped Cream And Candied Kumquats Chocolate Tart Recipe
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks) divided and room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups finely ground ginger or lemon thins (about 4 ounces)
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate finely chopped
- 4 ounces milk chocolate finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream divided
- 4 ounces Mascarpone cheese
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 recipe Spiced Candied Kumquats
- Make The Cookie Crust: Melt 6 tablespoons of the butter. Combine cookie crumbs and melted butter in a small bowl and mix until thoroughly moistened. Transfer the cookie mixture to an 8-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Using the back of a cup or measuring cup, press the mixture into the pan, evenly covering the bottom and sides of the pan. Set in freezer until set, at least 20 minutes.
- Make The Chocolate Ganache Filling: Meanwhile, place chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl and set aside. Place 1 cup of the cream in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Immediately remove from heat and whisk in remaining 6 tablespoons butter until melted and smooth and pour over chocolate.Let sit until chocolate is starting to melt, about 1 minute. Gently stir until all chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Turn the chocolate mixture into the prepared tart crust and tap the tart bottom against the counter until smooth. Refrigerate until filling is set, at least 1 1/2 hours. Meanwhile, make the Candied Kumquats.
- Make The Mascarpone Whipped Cream: When ready to serve, combine mascarpone, remaining 1/2 cup of cream, and sugar in a medium bowl. Using a clean whisk, beat just until well combined and fluffy and medium peaks (the mascarpone cream will hold onto the whisk without falling off).
- Serve The Tart: Just before serving, top the tart with the cream and spread it evenly across the tart. Top with candied kumquats and a drizzle of the kumquat syrup then serve.