It is high time to modernize the ubiquitous cranberry brie appetizer and our proposal is this Pear Cranberry Brie Mini Tartlets Recipe!
The combo of sweet, salty, and tart (and how easy it is to cook) is what makes the cranberry brie appetizer the ultimate in entertaining go-to recipes, but it’s a little done. A bit expected.
So, we made a modern twist on that recipe for our latest party by folding in sage pears and topping it with hot honey, pomegranate seeds, and citrus zest.
Hot tip? Make the tartlets ahead of time (up to two days) then bake just before serving.
You will love this Pear Cranberry Brie Mini Tartlets Recipe recipe.
Pear Cranberry Brie Mini Tartlets Recipe
For The Pear Filling:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium shallots minced
- 3 medium ripe pears small dice
- 6 medium fresh sage leaves
For The Mini Tartlets:
- 1/2 cup cranberry orange relish or cranberry sauce
- 8 ounces Brie, Camembert, or other soft cheese small dice
- 24 Mini Fillo Pastry Shells
For The Hot Honey:
- 1/2 cup honey for garnish
- 1/2 medium jalapeño seeded if you want it less spicy, for garnish
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds for garnish
- Zest of 4 mandarin oranges for garnish
- Make The Pear Filling: Heat the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook until translucent, about 3 minutes, then add in the sage leaves and pears and cook until the pears are tender for about 2 minutes. Set aside until cool enough to handle, then discard the sage leaves.
- Fill The Mini Tartlets: Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange the rack in the middle. Fill each mini tartlet with a small spoonful of cranberry sauce, cheese, and pears and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until the tarts are golden brown and the cheese is melty about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Make The Hot Honey: Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the honey to a low boil. When is lightly boiling, add the jalapeños and cook for about one more minute. Remove from the heat.
- Serve The Mini Tartlets: When the mini tartlets are ready, arrange them on a serving tray, drizzle the hot honey among them all, scatter the pomegranate seeds on top, then grate the mandarin zest over the tarts and serve.