I know, you’ve never heard of the Chocolate Pistachio Wafer Wedge before because it came to me out of a moment of kitchen clarity.
And it’s akin to the New Zealand dessert known as Chocolate Slice but isn’t quite that.
I’m an equal-opportunity chocolate dessert lover and love sharing all sorts of recipes but this one, in particular, is too simple and too fabulous not to make. It’s easier and simpler than truffles; I mean, all you have to do is heat cream, stir it together with chocolate, and then let it sit for a few hours. No, really, that’s it.
For those of you who have made truffles you’ll recognize the base here as ganache -– the same starting point for truffles – but with a few more goodies folded in for extra flavor and some texture.
No need to thank me — just go quickly to the kitchen and get cracking — the end result will be sure to impress. And as for the fact it took you mere minutes to pull off? Well, your guests will be none the wiser.
Pistachio Wafer Chocolate Slice Recipe
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate finely chopped
- 4 ounces dark chocolate finely chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 (1-inch strips of orange peel
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur (optional)
- 1/4 pound Moravian wafer cookies , chocolate wafers, shortbread biscuits, or your favorite thin cookie, broken in half
- 1/2 cup roasted shelled pistachios coarsely chopped
- Cocoa for serving (optional)
- Prepare The Pan: Prepare an 8-inch springform pan (or loaf pan or square cake pan) by coating with cooking spray or butter, then, if you have it, line the bottom with parchment paper. Coat the paper with cooking spray or butter.
- Melt The Chocolate: Place chocolate in a small bowl and set aside. Combine cream, orange peel, and liqueur, if using, in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat (make sure it doesn't boil). Pour cream over the chocolate and let it sit until the chocolate starts melting (about 2 to 3 minutes).12 ounces semisweet chocolate, 3/4 cup heavy cream, 3 (1-inch strips of orange peel, 1 tablespoon orange liqueur
- Mix The Chocolate Base: Discard the orange peel and gently stir the chocolate until evenly melted and smooth. Add the cookies or biscuits and stir until coated. Pour mixture into the prepared pan and spread it evenly. Top with pistachios then let set up in the refrigerator until firm, at least 2 hours.1/4 pound Moravian wafer cookies, 1/2 cup roasted shelled pistachios
- Serve: To serve, let sit for a few minutes at room temperature so it's easier to slice. remove from pan then slice into 12 wedges (or slices if in a loaf pan) and serve as is or with a dusting of cocoa.Cocoa