A simple recipe for a Bison burger sliders with tons of pan-roasted mushrooms, baby arugula, and whiskey caramelized onions. Every time I make this Bison Burger Sliders With Caramelized Whiskey Onions recipe makes me feel in a fancy sports bar.
Bison Burger Sliders With Caramelized Whiskey Onions Recipe
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt plus more for seasoning onions and mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil (like canola, grapeseed, or peanut oil) divided
- 2 large yellow onions halved and sliced paper thin
- 1 ounce rye or whiskey
- 1 pound ground bison
- 8 mini burger buns
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms stemmed and thinly sliced
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Good-quality mayonnaise for serving
- 2 handfuls baby arugula for serving
- Make The Caramelized Onions: Heat 1 tablespoon of each the oil and butter in a medium cast iron pan (or other heavy-bottomed pan) over medium-high heat. Add the onions and a pinch of salt and stir to coat. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring every few minutes, until the onions are softened and golden brown, at least 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the stove, add the whiskey, stir to coat and return to the stove over medium heat. Cook just until the alcohol smell is cooked off then set aside until ready to use. Meanwhile, make the mushrooms.
- Brown The Mushrooms: Heat 1 tablespoon of each the oil and butter in a medium cast iron pan (or other heavy-bottomed pan) over medium-high heat. When the oil shimmers, add the mushrooms, thyme, and garlic, stir to coat in the oil, season with salt and pepper and cook undisturbed at least 5 minutes. Stir the mushrooms occasionally and continue to cook until the mushrooms have let off the excess water and they're golden brown, about 5 to 10 minutes more. Remove from heat, add thyme leaves, and set aside until ready to use.
- Cook The Bison Burgers: Heat the grill or grill pan to medium heat (350°F) and rub the grate with a towel dipped in oil. In a large bowl, mix together the bison and salt until well combined. Shape into 8 (1/4-inch thick) patties and brush the patties with vegetable oil. Cook the patties until browned on first side, about 1 to 2 minutes. Flip, close grill top and cook until cheese is melted and patty is cooked through, about 1 to 2 more minutes.
- Serve the sliders on the buns topped with mayonnaise, mushrooms, onions, and arugula.