This year, rather than be the 5th guest who brings a heavy dip to the Super Bowl Party, surprise everyone. Instead of a 5 layer Mexican dip, mix it up with this Five-Layer Mezze Dip recipe.
It has the richness you want, from the hummus and red pepper dip, plus some heat, to the cool creamy yogurt and bursts of fresh herbs and pomegranates. It’ll be such a big hit that even if your team doesn’t win, you can at least be proud of your dip.
Five-Layer Mezze Dip Recipe
- 1/2 recipe carrot Harissa Hummus
- 1/2 recipe red Pepper Muhammara Dip
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1 garlic clove grated
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice divided
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 2/3 cup fresh mint leaves finely chopped and divided
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 Persian cucumber cut into 1/4-inch dice, about 1/4 cup
- 1 heirloom or beefsteak tomato cut in half and seeds removed, cut into ¼ “ dice, about ½ cup
- 1 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves finely chopped
- Kosher salt and Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 6 medium radishes
- Pita chips or toasted pita bread for serving
- For The Tzatziki: Using a micro-plane, grate the garlic clove and mix in a medium bowl with the yogurt, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, and olive oil, and 2 tablespoons of the dill and mint chill until ready to assemble.
- Make The Tabbouleh: Meanwhile, place the bulgur in a medium bowl and pour over boiled water. Cover with saran wrap and rest for 15 minutes. Then strain the bulgur and rinse. Put back in the bowl and add tomato, cucumber, parsley, and remaining lemon juice, olive oil, and mint. Mix, taste, and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Make The Garnish: Wash and trim stems and roots off radishes. Quarter them in thinly slice radishes. In a small bowl, mix the radishes and pomegranate arils and set them aside.
- Assemble: In a large 2-quart dish or some small cups (clear if possible to see all the layers) first spread the carrot harissa hummus and smooth out to edges. Then top with tabbouleh, muhammara, tzatziki, and then finish with the radishes and pomegranates. Chill for an hour and then serve with pita chips.