I first heard about acai bowls when pro surfer Rob Machado talked them up as his healthy breakfast that he’d discovered while on tour in Brazil. He brought the idea to Hawaii and now you can find someone turning out acai bowls near every major surf break.
Not that I often listen to surfers for nutritional advice but I sought out acai and started making smoothies and acai bowls on a regular basis and got re-inspired to make them after my recent trip to Belem.
It’s hard to go wrong with them but this Tropical Coconut Chia Cacao Açai Bowl recipe is a combo of fruit, sweet, and crunch is one of my favorites.
Go stock up on all your cooking essentials then head into the kitchen, make this, and share it with us by tagging @saltandwind and #swsociety on social!
Tropical Coconut Chia Cacao Acai Bowl Recipe
- 2 (100 gram) packets frozen acai smoothie
- 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk or your favorite nut milk
- 1 medium frozen banana
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Toasted coconut for garnish
- Raw cacao nibs for garnish
- Chia seeds for garnish
- Diced mango for garnish
- Sliced kiwi for garnish
- Run smoothie packs under water to thaw slightly then combine in a blender or food processor with milk, banana, and blueberries and process until just smooth. Divide mixture among two bowls then top with coconut, cacao nibs, chia seeds, and fruit, as desired.