If, like me, you’re a procrastinator, you may not be 100% ready for this weekend’s holidays, especially troublesome if you’re supposed to be bringing dessert to a potluck or other celebratory shindig. Well, that’s why there’s these ridiculously simple Strawberry Cardamom Mascarpone Tartlets. You can bake the puff pastry squares and make the mascarpone filling up to a day in advance and then assemble everything once you’re at your potluck, brunch, or whatever other get-together you may be attending.
Strawberry Cardamom Mascarpone Tartlets Recipe
- 1 pound all-butter puff pastry dough
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup finely chopped roasted, salted shelled pistachios divided
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons unrefined cane sugar
- 12 ounces strawberries trimmed and thinly sliced
- Juice and zest from 1 orange
- Dash orange flower water (optional)
- A few tablespoons apricot or orange marmalade, or fig jam
- 8 ounces Mascarpone cheese room temperature
- 1/2 cup chilled heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Heat the oven to 375°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Cut a sheet of puff pastry into 8 squares and place the squares on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Prick the bottom of each square with a fork, leaving a 1/2-inch border on the edge of each square.
- Beat egg yolk with a spoonful of water until smooth then brush puff pastry with egg wash. Bake until golden and puffed, about 30 minutes. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- While puff pastry squares are baking, combine strawberries, 1 tablespoon of the sugar, orange juice, and orange flower water (if using) in a bowl and toss to combine. Set aside to macerate for at least 10 minutes (can be done up to 2 hours in advance).
- When ready to serve, brush borders of the puff pastry with the jam then sprinkle a few spoonfuls of the pistachios along the border of each puff pastry square.
- Combine mascarpone, cream, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, cardamom, and orange zest in medium bowl. Using a clean whisk, beat just until well combined and fluffy. Spread filling evenly in cooled crust, making sure to leave the 1/2-inch border uncovered. Arrange strawberries slices atop tart, drizzle with a spoonful of strawberry juices, sprinkle with remaining pistachios, and serve.