One of our favorite places in Los Angeles to act like ladies who lunch is at Farm Shop. Set in the totally adorable Brentwood Country Mart, we feel chic just by association with the carefully curated artisanal products, the loads of streaming natural light, and the posh clientele ranging from the most gorgeous yoga Moms to celebrities. On a recent trip we had their red rice salad with avocados and spicy greens and wanted a version we could call our own, hence the creation of this Spiced Delicata Squash Salad with Black Rice and Avocado recipe.
Spiced Delicata Squash Salad with Black Rice and Avocado Recipe
- 1 pound delicata squash cut in half lengthwise, seeded, and cut crosswise into half moon
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil divided
- Kosher salt and Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 2 cups cooked black rice
- 2 firm-ripe avocado halved, pitted, and sliced
- 5 ounces packed baby kale
- 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- For the squash: Heat the oven to 375°F. Arrange squash on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle the squash with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the paprika, and cinnamon and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Toss to coat all of the squash with olive oil, then bake until the squash is tender and golden, flipping halfway, about 20 minutes.
- For the dressing: Combine remaining 1/3 cup olive oil, rice wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, and honey in a jar. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper, close, and shake well to evenly combine. Taste, adjust seasoning as desired and serve.
- For the salad: To serve, arrange kale, black rice, squash, avocado, pumpkin seeds, and feta in a serving dish. Drizzle with some of the dressing and pass the rest on the side.