We’re big fans of salads around here.
And we believe that just because the polar vortex has taken over doesn’t mean we should give up on all things veg. When we’re on the road, whether we’re traveling to Italy or Mexico, we’re always ISO of creative salads no matter the time of year.
We’ve learned that salads can still be incredible in the colder months, and this simple but sophisticated Shaved Root Vegetable and Goat Cheese Salad recipe is proof of that.
Here we wanted to modernize the classic combination of spicy greens and citrus that we often see here in California. So I added in some toasty hazelnuts, tangy goat cheese, and creamy avocado. That way, as long as the heater is up, you can close your eyes and forget about cold weather and imagine you’re in the California sunshine, if even just for one moment.
Shaved Root Vegetable and Goat Cheese Salad Recipe
- 1/2 cup whole hazelnuts
- 8 ounces kohlrabi trimmed and peeled
- 8 ounces baby beets trimmed and peeled
- 8 ounces carrots trimmed and peeled
- 4 ounces turnips trimmed and peeled
- 2 medium ruby red grapefruits
- 2 ounces baby mizuna
- 1 small firm-ripe avocado
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese (aka chèvre)
- 1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Kosher salt and Freshly ground black pepper
- Toast The Hazelnuts: Heat oven to 375° and bake hazelnuts for 12-15 minutes until roasted. Remove from oven and using a kitchen towel rub the nuts together to remove the skins. Roughly chop the nuts and set aside.
- Prepare The Vegetables: Meanwhile, using the julienne blade of a mandolin, cut the kohlrabi into 1/4-inch julienne pieces and scatter onto a large serving dish. Using a mandolin cut the beets, carrots, and turnips or radishes into 1/8-inch slices. Randomly scatter the sliced veggies over the kohlrabi.
- Supreme The Orange: Using a knife trim the ends off the oranges and lay flat on a cutting board. Cut the rind and as much of the white pith off in strips leaving as much of the orange flesh as possible. Slice to the left and right of each membrane and remove the wedge. Scatter over the veggies.
- Make The Dijon Vinaigrette: Combine the vinegar, oil, Dijon, and sugar in a small jar and season with salt and pepper. Close with lid and vigorously shake until completely combined. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add half the dressing to the salad and refrigerate platter for 5 to 10 minutes to chill.
- Assemble The Salad: Meanwhile, crumble the goat cheese into large chunks. Cut avocado in half, remove pit and rind and cut into 1/4-inch slices. Add the goat cheese, avocado, and mizuna to the salad. Top with remaining dressing, hazelnuts, and fresh cracked pepper and serve.