Coffee cake is one of those recipes that I kinda make without hesitation because it basically works in any situation. House guests? Coffee cake. Hostess gift? Coffee cake. Road trip? Coffee cake, coffee cake, coffee cake.
And, when I’m traveling, I don’t always have the coffee or tea that’s supposed to go with the cake so here I kinda combined it all.
This Pistachio-Coconut Chai Coffee Cake recipe is not a newbie for me – in fact, you can find it in my cookbook, but, I wanted to jazz it up so I folded in some pistachios, made it with coconut oil, and, well, ate too much for breakfast, and mid-morning snack, and, you get the idea.
Pistachio-Coconut Chai Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil melted
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose or cake flour divided plus more for coating baking dish
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar divided
- 1/2 cup packed unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature plus more for coating baking dish
- 1 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt room temperature
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Prepare The Pan: Heat oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Coat a 9-inch (23 cm) springform pan with butter and flour and set aside.
- Make The Streusel Topping: Combine 1/4 cup coconut oil, 1/3 cup of the flour, 1/2 cup of the sugar, the coconut, pistachios, cardamom, ginger, cloves, and half of the kosher salt in a small bowl and mix with clean hands until thoroughly mixed and mixture clumps with squeezed; refrigerate until ready to use.Combine The Dry Ingredients: Whisk together remaining 2 cups flour, baking powder, and remaining salt until aerated and lumps are broken up; set aside.
- Beat The Butter: Place 1 1/2 cups of the sugar and the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle and beat over medium speed until light in color and airy.Add sour cream or yogurt and mix well. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until evenly combined. Remove from mixer, and stir in dry ingredients until just moistened through.
- Bake The Coffee Cake: Transfer batter to prepared pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle streusel over the top and press in to adhere. Bake, rotating baking dish halfway through, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with clean with just a few crumbs remaining, about 45 to 55 minutes.Transfer to a cooling rack and cool at least 20 minutes before unmolding and serving.